Homan says 'security force' will remain in Minnesota amid drawdown - GRIF MAG

ShowBiz & Sports News

Hot

Monday, February 16, 2026

Homan says 'security force' will remain in Minnesota amid drawdown

Homan says 'security force' will remain in Minnesota amid drawdown

A small "security force" will remain in Minnesota temporarily as the Trump administrationwinds down its immigration enforcement operationin the state, White House border czarTom Homansaid on Feb. 15.

In an interview onCBS News' "Face the Nation,"Homan said a limited number of agents would stay in Minnesota to respond if federal personnel find themselves "surrounded by agitators and things get out of control."

He did not say how many agents would comprise the rapid response force but said he's "hoping" they can be removed "fairly quickly."

Homan's comments come days after he announced theend of Operation Metro Surge, the immigration mission in the Midwestern state that drew nationwide and bipartisanbacklash against the Trump administrationafter the deaths of two U.S. citizens at the hands of federal officers.

US Customs and Border Protection agents arrest a man after not providing documents proving he's a citizen of the United States while patrolling a neighborhood during immigration enforcement activity in Minneapolis in Minneapolis, Minn. on Jan. 11, 2026. A US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agent shot and killed 37-year-old Renee Nicole Good on the streets of Minneapolis on Jan. 7, leading to huge protests and outrage from local leaders who rejected White House claims she was a domestic terrorist. U.S. Border Patrol agents smash a man's car window before dragging him out and taking him into custody when he failed to present citizenship documentation at a gas station on Jan. 11, 2026 in St. Paul, Minn. The Trump administration has sent an estimated 2,000 federal agents into the area as they make a push to arrest undocumented immigrants. Border Patrol agents deploy tear gas as they clash with residents in a residential neighborhood after a minor traffic accident Jan. 12, 2026 in Minneapolis, Minn. The Trump administration has sent an estimated 2,000 federal agents into the area in a push to arrest undocumented immigrants. Federal law enforcement agents clash with residents in a neighborhood following a minor traffic accident Jan. 12, 2026 in Minneapolis. The Trump administration has sent an estimated 2,000 federal agents into the area in a push to arrest undocumented immigrants. Federal law enforcement agents deploy tear gas as they clash with residents in a residential neighborhood after a minor traffic accident Jan. 12, 2026 in Minneapolis, Minn. The Trump administration has sent an estimated 2,000 federal agents into the area in a push to arrest undocumented immigrants. Federal law enforcement agents ask a women to produce citizenship documentation as she was walking down the street Jan. 12, 2026 in Minneapolis, Minn. The Trump administration has sent an estimated 2,000 federal agents into the area in a push to arrest undocumented immigrants. Federal law enforcement agents take a person who was standing in a residential neighborhood into custody when he was unable to produce citizenship documentation Jan. 12, 2026 in Minneapolis, Minn. The Trump administration has sent an estimated 2,000 federal agents into the area in a push to arrest undocumented immigrants. ICE agents in St. Cloud on Jan. 12. State Sen. Aric Putnam, DFL-St. Cloud, speaks with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents at around 12:30 p.m. Jan. 12 in front of a few businesses on Third Street North. Crowds gathered at the intersection of Third Street N and 33rd Avenue N in St. Cloud as ICE agents came through the area Jan. 12.

Federal agents continue surge of immigration enforcement in Minnesota

In his announcement of the withdrawal, Homan cast the operation as a success, touting the arrests of 4,000 undocumented immigrants, some of whom had been charged with violent offenses. Homan credited the withdrawal to "unprecedented" cooperation between national authorities and Minnesota state and local officials.

"As a result of our efforts here Minnesota is now less of a sanctuary state for criminals," Homan said at a Feb. 12 news conference.

The move was welcomed by state and local officials in Minnesota, but several disputed Homan's claims and said no deals were struck to broaden cooperation with federal immigration authorities.

"We do not enforce federal immigration law, period. We do not cooperate with (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) or any agency around enforcement of federal immigration law," said Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey at a news conference after Homan made his announcement. "The notion there was a deal is false."

Border Czar Tom Homan speaks during a press conference at Bishop Henry Whipple Federal Building in Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S. Feb. 12, 2026.

In a separate interview withFox News' "Fox and Friends," Homan on Feb. 15 said Minnesota officials "ought to be saying thank you."

Homan was sent to Minnesota in the aftermath of the killings ofAlex Pretti, an ICU nurse, andRenee Nicole Good, a poet and mother of three, which triggered nationwide protests andintense scrutiny on the tactics of agentscarrying out the administration's deportation agenda.

The outrage led to a shutdown of the Department of Homeland Security, as Democrats vowed not to support a funding bill for the agency without reforms to immigration enforcement. Republicans described the demands as unrealistic.

Among the major points of contention are themasks worn by federal agents. Democrats are calling for them to be removed while Republicans say they're necessary to protect personnel from being doxxed and otherwise harassed.

Homan told CBS News that he was not part of the ongoing Homeland Security negotiations but said he doesn't "like the masks either." Still, the border czar called the coverings necessary amid an uptick in threats and assaults on immigration agents.

"These men and women have to protect themselves," he said.

Federal agents point weapons amid tear gas fired at protesters on Jan. 24, 2026, in Minneapolis.

Homan has conceded that the operation in Minnesota needed reform. In recent statements, Homan highlighted a series of internal changes he made when he arrived in Minnesota, from refocusing enforcement on undocumented immigrants with criminal histories to dispatching more internal affairs agents "to make sure officers in the field was doing the right thing."

But despite the controversy over the Minnesota operation, Homan has not ruled out future surges.

"I think it depends on the situation," he told CBS News. "I have said from day one that, you know, we need to – we need to flood the zone in sanctuary cities with additional agents. The number of agents depend on the situation on the ground, how many known criminal targets are out there, because we know we have a problem with sanctuary cities, because we know they're releasing public safety threats in the public."

He added: "I'm hoping other sanctuary cities look at what happened in Minnesota and how we got to the place we're at, which I think is a good place."

Christopher Cann is a national breaking news reporter for USA TODAY. Contact him via email at ccann@usatoday.com.

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY:Security force to remain in Minnesota amid ICE withdrawal, Homan says